Due to our expansion and opening of a new office in Colchester (Essex), we are seeking a talented Data Scientist – Educator and Practitioner.
This exciting new position blends both vocational education of data science and its practical, applied use at our clients’ premises and internally. Apart from the required educational background and experience in research, data science or statistics, the ideal candidate will be an articulate and well-organised self-starter with a high attention to detail and great communication, presentation and teaching skills. The position will suit an ambitious, high-energy and driven socio-economic researcher (MSc or PhD) or a former/current maths/IT/psychology secondary school or higher education teacher willing to enter a new career path in data science and statistical computing fields.
– MSc/PhD in Statistics/Mathematics/Data Science/Engineering/Psychology or any other quantitative discipline with extensive data analysis/statistics components,
– Expert knowledge of R and/or Python programming languages,
– Excellent data wrangling skills, knowledge of best practices in data science and data processing workflows,
– Excellent numerical skills – ability to create and deploy custom data processing, analytical and predictive algorithms,
– Good working knowledge of selected Big Data tools, e.g. Spark, SQL/NoSQL databases and/or Hadoop,
– Good working knowledge of Machine Learning algorithms for forecasting, clustering and classification purposes,
– Excellent communication and team working skills,
– Experience in communicating research findings to stakeholders at different levels of seniority and with varying background,
– Fluent English language,
– Good knowledge of another European language: German or French preferred,
– Ability to travel – please note that the position may require extensive national or worldwide travel or longer/early hours of work due to travel arrangements and consultancy at clients’ premises in different time zones,
– Clean and valid Barring and Disclosure of Scotland (DBS, former Criminal Record Bureau check) certificate – a successful candidate who does not possess a valid DBS certificate will be provided with a conditional offer of employment only. Mind Project will cover the cost of this certificate for a successful candidate.
– Experience with manipulating, analysing and visualising geo-spatial and/or time-series data,
– Knowledge of other programming languages for data science applications, e.g. Scala (e.g. for Spark) or Java,
– Experience in teaching/tutoring, public speaking or presenting.
– to actively participate in internal and client-based data science projects and research initiatives,
– to lead and manage open-to-public and in-house statistical computing training courses,
– to develop engaging and interactive contents for Mind Project open-to-public, in-house and e-learning data science training courses,
– to collaborate with other employees of Mind Project and staff members of client organisations to develop and implement novel and exciting data products and services.
– a competitive salary,
– an extensive training and generous professional/personal development package,
– an exciting and challenging role that blends research, theory and applied statistical science at a boutique, client facing consultancy,
– an opportunity to travel (all expenses paid) both nationally and internationally,
– a possibility to work remotely during specific projects,
– other benefits e.g. free gym membership or local transport ticket.
The interview will consist of three stages:
– a 15-minute presentation (including a short Q&A session) on a data science related subject – the topic of the presentation will be provided at least 7 days before the scheduled interview,
– a 30-minute discussion with the interviewer,
– and a 45-minute computer-based practical test to assess current level of skills in data wrangling, analysis and reporting methods, statistical and machine learning concepts, basic approaches in Big Data processing and R/Python knowledge.
In order to apply for this position please submit your up-to-date CV and a motivational letter by clicking Apply Now button on this page. Please note that the deadline for applications for this role is 13th of January 2019 with the interviews scheduled for the week commencing 21st of January 2019. The interviews will be held in Colchester (Essex). The successful candidate will be offered employment in the week commencing 28th of January 2019. Please note that should we find an exceptional candidate before the deadline, we reserve the right to end the application process earlier, therefore we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
Also, please be aware that only candidates with valid EU/UK passports and without any residency restrictions may apply for this position. We regret to inform that we are unable to provide visa sponsorship for this post.
External recruiters and other staffing agencies: please refrain from contacting us regarding this position and do not send us any CVs or speculative applications on behalf of your candidates. Such applications will not be considered.