We are currently looking for an articulate, talented and enthusiastic Data Scientist Intern to support and assist our more senior Data Scientists and Chief Data Scientist in preparing, cleaning, integrating, analysis and visualising datasets coming from different sources. A person recruited for this position will ideally be a BSc graduate or a current post-graduate student (either MSc, MPhil or PhD) in one of the following fields: statistics, data science, Big Data, mathematics, psychology/neuroscience/cognitive science, social sciences, computer science, IT, engineering or other areas with a large statistics/data science component.
As part of this role, you will be supervised by our data scientists and your task will also include development of your own data science skillset e.g. methods and approaches used for data processing, wrangling, visualisations and analytics.
Please note that this is a PAID internship (at the level equal to or above National Living Wage) and as a candidate you may choose either a Part-Time (minimum of 18 hours per week required) or a Full-Time (37.5 hours per week) internship and we would be happy to fit the part-time working hours around your studies or other commitments. In your motivational letter, please indicate whether you are applying for a Part-Time or Full-Time internship. Please note that due to the COVID-19 pandemic the internship will be carried out remotely.
- Bachelor degree (or a current MSc, MPhil or PhD student) in statistics, data science, Big Data, mathematics, psychology/neuroscience/cognitive science, social sciences, computer science, IT, engineering or other areas with a large statistics/data science component,
- Good programming skills in at least one data science language: R, Python, Scala or/and Java,
- Good knowledge of statistics including hypothesis testing, general and generalised linear models, statistical learning and model optimisation algorithms,
- Knowledge of typical workflows used in data processing, management and wrangling tasks,
- Ability to understand and visualise patterns of data,
- Excellent communication skills and ability to present research findings clearly to wide range of audience,
- Passion for Big Data, data science and statistics.
- Experience working with SQL/NoSQL databases and proprietary statistical packages e.g. SPSS, Stata, SAS,
During this internship, you will be responsible for:
- assisting and supporting more senior Data Scientists in data management, processing, wrangling, analysis and visualisation tasks whenever necessary,
- preparing research and project presentation packages including Word processing, formatting of Excel tables and collating PowerPoint presentations,
- updating and managing website blog and client's newsletter with Mind Project activities and operations,
- actively researching and learning new skills.
- a paid opportunity (equal to or above the National Living Wage in the United Kingdom) to gain practical experience, learn new skills and be involved in real projects in a busy, client-focused boutique data science consultancy,
- a research-oriented, professional, inclusive, friendly and well-educated office environment - we want you to feel like a permanent member of our team,
- supervision by experienced data scientists and additional vocational training opportunities to boost your skillset even faster,
- inclusion in all fun activities we do and a possibility to take part in external data science industry events e.g. conferences and workshops.
The selection of candidates will be carried out based on information provided in CV, motivational letter, references and a short informal interview (online).
The interview will consist of a 30-minute discussion with the interviewer. The discussion may include (but is not limited to) questions related to various concepts of data science, statistics, working with data etc.
In order to apply for this position please submit your up-to-date CV (with contact details to two referees - one must be your academic supervisor) and a motivational letter by clicking Apply Now button on this page. Please note that the deadline for applications for this role is 9th of October 2020 with the interviews scheduled for the week commencing 12th of October 2020. Please indicate in your motivational letter whether you are applying for a Part-Time or Full-Time internship.
The interviews will be held remotely (Zoom/Skype etc.). Please note that should we find an exceptional candidate before the deadline, we reserve the right to end the application process earlier, therefore we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
Also, please be aware that only candidates with valid EU/UK passports and without any residency restrictions may apply for this position. We regret to inform that we are unable to provide visa sponsorship for this post.
External recruiters and other staffing agencies: please refrain from contacting us regarding this position and do not send us any CVs or speculative applications on behalf of your candidates. Such applications will not be considered.